Alfred L. Newberry, PE
Fiberglass Engineering Mechanics
Recipient of 2009 B.E.S.T. Award by Composites Manufacturing
University of Missouri B.S.A.E. May 1972
Rolla, Missouri, USA
University of Oklahoma M.S.M.E. May 1984
Norman, Oklahoma, USA
M.S.M.E. Areas of Specialty: Solid
Mechanics, Finite Element,
PROFESSIONAL ENGINEERING REGISTRATION
Holds NCEES (National Council of Examiners for Engineers
& Land Surveyors)
Licensed Professional Engineer, Mechanical Engineering, in the states of Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Mississippi, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wyoming.
ASME RTP-1 Design and Fabrication Subcommittee (Reinforced Thermoset Plastic Corrosion Equipment) since 1992 Received 15 year lapel pin.
11 years -- ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code Section X Committee (Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic Pressure Vessels)
DESIGN CONSULTANT TO THE FRP INDUSTRY
1) Wide range of design experience of FRP tanks, pressure vessels, piping, duct, and other FRP equipment in corrosive applications.
2) Designed the world's largest diameter helically wound storage tank (82.5 ft j).
3) Wide range of clients in the USA and in seventeen other countries.
4) Extensive experience with Finite Element Analysis design of FRP vessels and equipment.
5) Design of two composite tankers for DOT exemption approval. Design by Finite Element Analysis.
6) Extensive experience with FRP Chimney liner design ranging from 6.7 m to 10.4 m diameter. Chimney heights up to 150 m. Various breech and support systems have used in different designs. Designs per ASTM D5364.
1) Wide range of inspection of new, in-service, defective and failed FRP Corrosion Resistant Equipment.
2) Extensive Experience in Inspection of FRP Tanks, Pressure Vessels, Duct, Pipe, and Stack Liners.
3) Numerous Failure Analysis Projects.
4) One of the FRP corrosion industry's leading forensic and expert witness engineers.
American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
National Association of Corrosion Engineers (NACE)
National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE)
ORAL TECHNICAL PAPERS
Newberry has presented numerous papers on FRP and FEA at CFA, SAMPE, SPI, and NACE conferences in the USA, Singapore, and Europe since 1991 on the subject of fiberglass reinforced plastic pipes, tanks, and pressure vessels for corrosive service.
In February 1998, Newberry was presented with the CMA/SME Outstanding Paper Award at the Composites 1998 Conference in Anaheim, California. Plaque was presented by the Society of Manufacturing Engineering.
PUBLISHED TECHNICAL PAPERS
1) Newberry, A.L., Bert, Prof. C.W., and Striz, Prof. A.G. "Noninteger-Polynomial Finite-Element Analysis of Column Buckling." Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 113, No. 4, pp. 873-878.
2) Bert, Prof. C.W. and Newberry, A.L. "Improved Finite-Element Analysis of Beam Vibration." Journal of Sound and Vibration, 105(1), pp. 179-183.
3) Newberry, Alfred L. "Helically Winding Very Large Diameter FRP Storage Tanks", Reinforced Plastics, Vol. 38, No. 4, April 1994, pp. 82-84.
4) Newberry, Alfred L. "Peeking Inside Composite Layers", Machine Design, May 9, 1994, p. 118.
5) Newberry, Alfred L. "Sophisticated Techniques for Designing a Large Diameter 82.5 ft - Composite Tank", CI on Composites, August/September 1994, pp. 6-7.
6) -Newberry, Alfred L. "The World's Largest Diameter Helically wound FRP Tank", Composites, No. 27, June 15 1998, pp. 44-46.
7) Newberry, Alfred L. "Corrosion Market Benefits From New FRP Technology", Reinforced Plastics, Vol. 42, No. 8, September 1998, pp. 34-39, published by Elsevier.
8) Newberry, Alfred L. "Composites Succeed Where Steel Fails", Reinforced Plastics, Vol. 43, No. 9, September 1999, pp. 40-43, published by Elsevier Cover Story.
9) Newberry, Alfred L. "Practical Guidelines For Selecting Quality Fabricators of FRP Tanks and Pipe", Composites Australia, June 1998, published by Composites Institute of Australia.
10) Newberry, Alfred L. "FEA Design of FRP Upflow Tube for a Paper Mill", Reinforced Plastics, September 2000, pp. 56-60, published by Elsevier.
11) Newberry, Alfred L. "FEA Modeling Proves its Worth in Composites Design", Reinforced Plastics, October 2000, pp. 26-29, published by Elsevier.
12) Newberry, Alfred L. "Large Diameter FRP Tanks Mark Progress in Mexico", Reinforced Plastics, November 2001, pp. 40-42, published by Elsevier.
13) Newberry, Alfred L. "Advanced Software for Stress Analysis of Composite Pipe Systems", Reinforced Plastics, October 2002, pp. 46-48, published by Elsevier.
14) Newberry, Alfred L., "GRP Pipe: Custom or Commodity?", Reinforced Plastics, December 2003, pp. 22-24, published by Elsevier.
15) Newberry, Alfred L., "World's Largest FRP Acid Storage Tanks", Reinforced Plastics, November 2005, pp. 26-29, published by Elsevier.
16) Newberry, Alfred L., "Gunung Putri Completes World's Largest GRP Chemical Storage Tanks", Reinforced Plastics, November 2006, pp. 20-23, published by Elsevier Cover Story.
17) Newberry, Alfred L., "World's Largest High Pressure, Large Diameter GRP Pipe Project", Reinforced Plastics, September, 2008, pp. 20-23, published by Elsevier.
18) Newberry, Alfred L., "120 Tonne GRP Tanks shop Fabricated", Reinforced Plastics, May, 2009, pp. 28-32, published by Elsevier.